Washing Your Workout Gear The Right Way
To keep your workout gear looking and smelling fresh requires a bit of TLC. Your gym clothes absorb sweat, dead skin cells and oils from your body therefore they require more attention than your normal clothes.
Adding extra detergent to your washing machine when washing your gym clothes is not a good idea. Your washing machine is programmed to use a certain amount of washing powder. Any excess powder will not get rinsed out and your clothes will become a breeding ground for mildew and bacteria. Hence the funky smell!
Another big No No! Fabric softener damages anything stretchy. It also leaves behind a coating that will trap smells and be difficult to clean away. Instead try adding half a cup of white vinegar to your wash cycle. It acts as a softener and kills odours.
The Right Way To Wash Your Gym Clothes
- Turn everything inside-out to safeguard colours. Also, most of the gross stuff tends to accumulate inside your gym clothes.
- Before washing, soak your gym gear in a mixture of cold water and half a cup of white vinegar for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Use a small amount of detergent - a little less than whatever is recommended for your load size.
- Wash your clothes in cold water (hot water can lead to shrinkage).
- You can add another half a cup of white vinegar to your wash cycle if you really want to block any odours.
- Air dry your clothes!
Follow these instructions and you'll be on your way to fresh smelling gym clothes in no time.